Okay... here's one of my favorite riddles:
Three men go into a motel. The clerk tells them the room will be $30. Each man pays $10 before going to the room. The clerk then realizes that he made a mistake and should have only charged them $25 for the room. He gives $5 to the bellhop and asks him to take the change to the men in their room. The bellhop takes the $5 but pockets $2 of it. (He's not an honest bellboy.) He gives each of the 3 men $1 back as their change. After their refunds, each man ended up paying $9 for the room. Three times $9 is $27. With the $2 the bellhop kept, that's only $29. Where's the missing dollar?
I like this riddle because it's a math riddle, and math is not my strongest talent. The first time I heard this riddle, I was so confused. I could not figure it out. Even after I heard the answer, I still didn't get it. Now, in my defense, when I first heard this particular riddle, I was much younger than I am now. I'd like to think that if I heard it for the first time today, I would at least understand the answer when it's given to me if I couldn't figure it out on my own first.
Think about it for awhile, and try to figure it out. Read on for the answer...
ANSWER:
The $2 that the bellhop kept should not be added; it should be subtracted from the total paid ($27) to obtain the price of the room ($25).
The wording of the riddle tricks you into trying to do the wrong math problem, and that never comes out the way you think it should. Of course, by definition, that is what riddles do. They trick you with their ambiguous wording.
Here's what I REALLY don't understand about the riddle: What kind of motel that only charges $25 a night for a room has a bellhop?
Friday, January 19, 2007
Riddle Me This
Posted by Tracy B. at 10:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment