Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tracy, The Super Librarian

Well, I have officially begun working on my practicum. Basically, a practicum is an internship. I started working at the beginning of this month at the Hilliard library. So far, I have supervised a craft station where I helped kids make reindeer masks; I have helped pass supplies out at the cookie decorating storytime; I have observed a Nutcracker-themed storytime that was done for the library by people from BalletMet; I have also observed another storytime that was done by the librarians, which is what I will get to do eventually. I'll get to do storytimes and go into schools to do booktalks. For those who don't know, a booktalk is basically a 1-2 minute skit about a particular book. I have done them before for school assignments. For example, I did one once on The Princess Diaries. I pretended like I was Princess Mia, the main character from the book, and that I was writing in my diary. So I said things like "Dear diary, today was an awful day! I found out I was a princess! Can you imagine that? Me? With my frizzy hair and glasses! How am I supposed to know how to run a country? I can't even get my cat, Fat Louis, to do what I tell him!" Blah, blah, blah... You go on like that for awhile and then you say something to the effect of "If you want to know what happens to Princess Mia, then you need to read her book The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot." That's a booktalk in a nutshell.

So far I have really enjoyed the things I have gotten to help with. I'm on a short hiatus now from the library until after the holidays are over and my next semester officially begins. But I think I'm really going to like my practicum! Hooray!

0 comments: