Saturday, February 21, 2009

Say What?!?

At the library recently, we played Jeopardy. We have this big Jeopardy Classroom game that can be projected on the wall. It has the buzzers & keeps score and everything. It's a lot of work to plan, though, because I have to come up with all the questions, or should I say "answers" since it is Jeopardy after all. One of the categories I used was "Movie Quotes." The "answer" was a famous quote from a famous movie and the "question" was the title of the movie. For example, you choose Movie Quotes for 200. The board reads, "You're trying to seduce me, Mrs. Robinson" and you would answer, "What is The Graduate?" (That was really one of the actual questions I asked in the game.) I always have a hard time writing the questions because I can never decide how hard or easy to make them. Then I wonder if there's something I think is really easy, but most people wouldn't know the answer or vice versa -- maybe the average person would know something that I would have no clue about. So, I ran my movie quotes passed several of my fellow co-workers. I was really surprised to learn that they didn't know many of the quotes. I really thought they were too easy. I was worried that maybe I had spent WAAAAAY TOOOOO much time watching movies. So, here's a little quiz for you... See how many quotes you know from the movies. Some are questions I used in the game, others are just my favorite quotes or questions I considered for the game but discarded.

Ready?





Here we go.... (The answers are at the end of the questions.)





1. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"



2. "If you build it, he will come."



3. "A boy's best friend is his mother."



4. "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too."



5. "It's amazing, the clarity that comes with psychotic jealousy."



6. "Yeah, I called her up. She gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something. I don't know. I wasn't really paying attention."



7. "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"



8. "Kid, the next time I say, 'Let's go someplace like Bolivia,' let's go someplace like Bolivia."



9. "You truly love each other, and so you might have been truly happy. Not one couple in a century has that chance, no matter what the story books say. and so I think no man in a century will suffer as greatly as you will."



10. "I feel like such a heifer. I had two bowls of Special K, three pieces of turkey bacon, a handful of popcorn, five peanut butter M&M's and like three pieces of licorice."














Answers:
1. Apocalypse Now
2. Field of Dreams
3. Psycho
4. Wizard of Oz
5. My Best Friend's Wedding
6. Dumb and Dumber
7. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
8. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
9. The Princess Bride
10. Clueless



Just so you know, I think I made the quotes too easy. Even though many of my co-workers couldn't answer them, the people who played the game got every question in the category correct. There was no stumper in the bunch!

5 comments:

Mrs. Blimes said...

geez i only knew 1! i thought i had 3 but at the end i was wrong on 2 of em. i have seen most of those movies too... i just dont have a very good memory... i lose.

Kari said...

I knew 3. 2 others I knew I'd heard somewhere but couldn't come up with the answers. That would be hard coming up with something like that!

Michelle said...

I only knew #2, #4 and #8. And the Mrs. Robinson one.

Michelle said...

You have been honored with a
WONDERFUL BLOG award because I think you are wonderful!

Stop by my blog to accept your award.

Kari said...

Okay, so where are those Twilight week pictures you promised to post?