Sunday, May 13, 2007

Graduation

Yesterday was the big day. Karen, Anna, and I drove up to Kent, Ohio to go to my commencement ceremony. We had a fun trip. It was nice to just get away on even a short little road trip.

The plan was for me to go home after work, pick up Anna, and then head to the east side to get Karen. By the time we got to Karen's it was 5:30, and traffic was really bad. We decided to stop and eat dinner at Texas Rodehouse before we fought the traffic to get out of town. That was a good choice. It used an hour, and by that time traffic was not nearly so bad.

We stopped to get gas in some little town and decided to get a couple of scratch off lottery tickets. We ended up winning $11 (which paid for junk food for the hotel later).

We got the hotel around 9:00, and they had a hard time finding our reservation. When they did find it, they realized that they had given our room away to someone who had come earlier in the day with the same last name. At that point, they didn't have a room with 2 double beds left. So we ended up getting 2 rooms (one was free of charge, of course). That actually worked out well because it made getting ready in the morning a lot easier since we had two bathrooms. One of the rooms had a king sized bed, which Karen and Anna shared. I got my own room with a double bed. It was also a handicapped accessible room, which means it was a little bigger than the other rooms. Plus it had a cool shower!

We hung out at the hotel. We were hoping to go swimming a little, but the pool was closed for renovations. So we watched cable (a luxury that Anna and I don't usually have) and just talked for a while. We walked across the street to a gas station and bought some Twix ice cream bars. I had never had one before, and it was delicious! (This is what our $11 in winnings went for.)

The next morning, we got up and headed up to Kent State for graduation. How ironic is it that the very first time I set foot on campus is for my graduation? I was running a little late, and so I had Anna and Karen drop me off at the doors. I had to go register, which was just telling them you were here and getting your number that determined your order in the processional line. (My number was 100.) Then I had to go line up with my fellow library science graduates. I don't know if it's just because we are the librarians, but I have to say our department was by far the most organized. We also had the most graduates present (for Masters degrees).

The ceremony went well for the most part. They pronounced my name wrong when they called it, but that doesn't really bother me that much. Nobody tripped and fell down or anything. The speaker was kind of interesting too. It was some entrepreneur business guy who made A LOT of money during his career and has a building or two named after him on campus.

I created a montage of the pictures from the road trip, the ceremony, and on campus. We actually would have had more pictures, but the batteries in my camera died, and I didn't have a spare set with me.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Hooray for Tracy!!! You're done. I'm glad Anna and Karen went up with you. Now I want to try a TWIX icecream bar. It sounds good. I've never had one before either.

Kari said...

Just thought I'd let ya know--I tried the TWIX icecream bar. You're right, they are good! I had 2!